Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thit Kho Hot Vit

This is one of my favourite vietnamese dishes growing up. Mum makes this often, it's like a pork stew with eggs. It's a salty dish so we often eat it with vegetables which we dunk in the sauce.
I rang my mum this morning to get the recipe. I'm so happy I know how to make this now, I was quite happy with my efforts today.

Ingredients
Approx 1 kg pork, I used pork ribs
3 stalks of spring onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt
sugar
fishsauce
ground pepper
sugar caramel
1.7L boiling water
olive oil
4 eggs, you can add as many as you like

1) Cut up pork into medium sized pieces, cut up spring onion finely and add together.
2) Add the minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, 3 tablespoons fishsauce, 1 teaspoon ground pepper, 4 tablespoons of sugar caramel and mix thoroughly into the meat.
Let marinade for at least 30 minutes, I let mine marinade for 4 hours today


3) Boil and peel the eggs
4) Using a large saucepan, heat some olive oil and add meat mixture. Cook on high, making sure you turn over each piece of meat so the colouring browns on all sides of each piece of meat.
5) Once each piece of meat is browned and before the marinade is dried up add the 1.7L of boiling water to the saucepan. Let it boil first and then turn down the heat and remove froth.

6) Taste the sauce, add an extra 2 tablespoons of sugar caramel (to make the colour darker), 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar and 6 tablespoons fish sauce. Add the eggs and let simmer for an hour on low heat.


7) Serve with vegetables and rice, I boiled some choy sum today and we dunked the choy sum into the sauce, it was delicious