Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Chendol Jelly (Banh Lot)

Loi's mum taught me how to make the green pandan flavoured jelly in Chendol last week. The piece of equipment she used was impossible to find, I went to every Asian grocery store in town asking for "the chendol pressing equipment". The place where my mother in law (MIL) bought hers was sold out and the other shops had NO idea what I was asking for haha.

I told MIL I couldn't find it and she told me to go to any Housewares shop, I was like what?! She said it's actually a potato masher hahaha -no wonder I couldn't find it at the Asian Grocery stores!!! I went to the first Housewares shop near me and there it was on the shelves! But seriously who would buy one of these to make mashed potatoes!? It cost me $32.95..this thing will last me forever so it's worth it...or so I've convinced myself haha







Serves 4
Ingredients
Pure Water Chestnut Flour (use 1/2 the packet) ie 1 cup of flour
3.5 cups water
1 tablespoon of cornflour (sifted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 teaspoons of sugar
Pandan food colouring/flavouring

2 cans of Carnation coconut flavoured evaporated milk (each can 375ml)
1 cup sugar
Buy Edgell Brand, Red kidney beans - No added Salt 400g

Note, this photo was of the original ingredients..since then I have changed from coconut milk to
evaporative milk (healthier) and switched the kidney beans brand, the one below was too salty




Mix flour, water, cornflour, 3 teaspoons sugar and vanilla essence in a saucepan. Add afew drops of pandan food colouring until you get a nice green colour. Mix ingredients thoroughly.

Put saucepan on medium heat and continue stirring until it thickens and turns a translucent colour.



Fill a bowl with cold water and start pressing immediately...do not allow mixture to cool down. It will stick together too much and won't become long strands if left to cool.
Spoon a portion of the batter into the potato masher (aka chendol press) and push the batter through and let it drop into the water. Continue with remaining batter. Leave in the cold water to cool for afew minutes then drain in a colander and set aside.
If leaving in fridge, put into a container and add a small amount of water to it so it doesn't completely stick together.


In 2 jars add 1/2 a cup of sugar in each and top with hot water to the level below..dissolve sugar into the water and then add the evaporated milk, 375 ml in each....it should fill the jars to the top exactly. ie you should have 2 jars of sweet evaporated milk.



Put the jelly and sweet evaporated milk in the fridge to cool

To serve, add green jelly, red kidney beans, ice and coconut milk.